Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Job Fair - Dress the Part

Today I stopped by a job fair at the last minute after an interview.  Filled out my application, while networking with the fellow next to me.  After I turned in my application, I sat down for the 'at least an hour' wait.  With no laptop in tow to catch up on photo editing and such, I had not other option but to chat people up and people watch.

First off there were a lot of interview fashion no-nos.  Seriously, if you can't at least wear a pair of dress pants and a collared shirt, maybe you shouldn't be wasting your time, the interviewer's time, and the time of the people waiting behind you to interview.  I'm not sure if these candidates do not know that certain things are not appropriate or that he/she just didn't care.  I really wanted to say something quitely but figured it would not be received well even though I would only being saying something to help them out.  This is a list of what no-nos I saw:
  • Jeans:  Unless you are applying for a manufacturing type job then you should never wear jeans to an interview.
  • T-shirt:  Please at least wear a collared shirt or a nice blouse.  T-shirts are for bumming around the house on the weekend.
  • Stretch Pants:  Same theory as the T-shirt (see above)
  • Capri Pants:  Though not as bad as the stretch pant, capri pants are still not dress pants or a nice knee length or longer skirt.
  • Opened Toe Shoes/Flip Flops:  Your current work environment may allow them but they are not professional work attire and not appropriate for any interview.
  • Skirt with No Hose:  Yes it maybe hot out but ladies you NEED to wear hose with your skirt to an interview.  If you don't have hose, wear pants.  Also your skirt should be AT LEAST knee length.  If your skirt creeps half way or more up your thigh when you sit down, you should be wearing a longer skirt.
  • Tatoos/Cleaveage Showing:  No real explanation for this. This should be common sense folks
Second, while you are waiting at a cattle call like this what do you do, or not do.
  • Do: Talk with the other candidates - You never know what you might learn or what other opportunities might arise.  I had a wonderful time talking with a gentleman.  I learned that psychology may not be a viable field for additional study for me as the market is over-saturated in Michigan for counselors due to the fact that surrounding states have higher requirements.  Also he has a friend that is a photographer that occasionally needs an assistant.  So I gave him my card. 
  • Do: Carry business cards if you have them. (see above)
  • Do: Keep yourself busy while waiting.  Looking bored with a blank stare is not attractive to potential employers.  They maybe interviewing other people at the tables behind you but they can SEE you.
  • Do Not:  Constantly text on your phone or have phone conversations in the room.  This is just not professional at all.  Take your conversation to the hall.
  • Do Not: Talk too loudly.  Sure networking is good.  Also it is good for the recruiters to see you engaging other people.  It shows that you will adapt well in the work environment.  But talking too loudly can also be distracting to the interviews going on in the room.
My final advice on career/job fairs is to go to them even if they might not be hiring for your particular skill set.  The one I went too today is for a company branching out into the area.  As I am in the accounting field, every business needs an accountant.  The Human Resource Rep invited me to apply for an accounting position at another location.

No comments:

Post a Comment